Last week we made a call for political leaders to put heads together in order to agree on a workable agenda to stabilize our bleeding nation. Unfortunately many are still carrying on as if it is business as usual, IT IS NOT!
The nation is on fire and we must put it out Right Now! Nigeria’s political leaders across political lines in government and out of government must urgently arrive at a consensus to Secure the country and return it to a path of peace and unity so as to give hope to the citizens who desperately need to be assured that their father land can still work for them.
The challenges confronting Nigeria are larger than any particular party in government or in opposition, they are bigger than any group’s interest or ambition, they require the goodwill of all patriots to resolve, and our best collective wisdom as a people.
On our own part we recommended a six point agenda as a pathway to security and peace in our land. Please permit me to restate them :-
1. Establish a Defence Co-operation Agreement (DCA) with a friendly nation to halt the enemy’s advance. Those who are fighting Nigeria are from all over the world, the enemy is multinational in its composition.
2. We must put our house in order by resolving internal wrangling through dialogue, fairness, and justice.
3. We must have a broad-based cabinet that can inspire hope, efficiency, and national unity.
4. We must immediately create the framework for States and Local Governments to have their own police.
5. All states should have concurrent jurisdiction over mineral resources within their state and pay taxes to the Federal purse.
6. We must decentralize electricity generation, transmission via local grid and distribution. This should be on the concurrent list.
Time is running out for orderly resolution of the issues giving leadership on a road-map for peace and security at this critical time is the least we owe our people who have suffered too much deprivation. Every leader must get up to be counted.